Sunday, October 30, 2011

What Money and 20 + Years Can Do!

 Isn't this a great car?  The last time I saw this car it was sitting out in the field behind the house on Downington Ave.  It was a shell, it looked black but was actually dark green, the inside had been a place for animals to live and I even think that one of the side window was either missing or had dropped down into the door.
 And look at it now.  The dash board and steering wheel are all new, actually everything is new.  It has a heater and AC.  New auto transmission,  upholstery, seats, radio/CD player you name it it's new.  Better suspension, windshield wipers
Even a "new" 1939 License plate.  He found it on the internet and a guy in Nebraska restored it.
 I am sure this is a really nice engine but I have no ideas what it is.  Not the original, that is for sure!
 Nana and Mr. Daryl Christensen.
Now for the story.  This old car was something my grandpa Mel brought from Springville area.  My dad (grandpa Cates) always thought he would restore it.  But you know how that worked out, building a garage to store it in was always in the works(in the head) and had to be done before he could work on the car.  Therefore it sat in the area behind the garden for 20 years.  When mother died he sold it and signed the title "Dorothy Cates deceased by David T. Cates (husband).  The guy kept the title in a drawer from June of 1992 to July 2011 when he finally finished restoring the car.  He called me the week of the funeral and asked me if I could help him out because they wouldn't take the title at the DMV signed the way grandpa had signed it.  I had to take Grandma's probated will and grandpa's death certificate and my Power of attorney for the estate and prove that the folks who owned the car were dead and would they please give the poor guy a sticker for the license plate.  We got a kind of young newby and she checked with her boss and they passed it!!!   Whoopeee

No comments: