Sunday, July 29, 2012

2nd Week: Work, Work, Work! Listen, Listen, Listen. Sit, Sit, Sit!

 So the 2nd week is medical stuff.  This is the group we worked with, there were 7 to begin with but one couple, the Dr. going to the Ukraine got sick on Tuesday of the 1st week and had to go home by Wednesday to CA.
Monday; we are in SL at Church Office Building (COB)
Dr. Hebertson
This is one of about 4 Dr's who talked to us on Monday.  He was very cute but as you can see it was 3:20 pm and I think I had just spent  one of the most boring days ever.  "Line of authority" of how to report problems.  What to do if you have something that is out of your comfort zone for dealing with it,  all that kind of stuff.  None of which applied to me.  I brought nothing with me but my iPad and there was no internet for non employees.  I could have done so much arbitrating.


This is the group, from the left.  The French's; she is the AMHA in the Philippines.  Sister Wallace; she is the nurse in the new Vanuatu mission.  (check out where that is in google).  Coming around the table to the right; Dr. Jackson and his wife from Fillmore,  they are headed to the Philippines as the AMA-19 missions to take care of.  Last in the green jacket Sister Hugie as the nurse to Chile, Pinon.  Her MMC(mission mother) is 36 with 4 kids under 10 yrs of age so we think she is the answer to prayers from that lady.

Tuesday; Back down at the MTC.  I came prepared this time, knitting and computer and the ID and Password for the MTC's internet.

Dr. Wooley

Dr. Reese
 These were the two presenters and these guys talked, and fast from 8 am to 4:30 pm. only giving breaks when they could sense we were frozen in our chairs and maybe it might be a good idea to give these old people a chance to stretch their joints.  We were lucky to get 30 min. for lunch.






As I said I came prepared and that included a little jaunt at the 1st of the day to meet the following cuties and their mother at Krispy Kreme.  How good is that for a morning break?









Super Girl





Super girl thinks the Rasberry filled is the best!

Rad Man













        Rad Man likes to coordinate his food and his clothing.  Nothing like being super patriotic.  And nothing better than donuts with sprinkles
 This guy says that the chocolate frosting tastes much better if you smear it on your face then lick it off with your tongue.  Oh to be 6 (nearly 7) and have the ability to run off every calorie you consume.
These are 3 of the cutest kids I know.  (The other 3 were at home with their families)  We had a great break!











I came back to find that I had really missed out.  Dr. Reese and Dr. Wooley are somewhat like an Abbot and Costello team.  They badger each other, good-naturedley, as Dr. Wooley adds about 4-10 slides every time he gives this lecture and does not remove any of the previous slides.  It falls to Dr. Reese to remove and update the whole presentation and get it to Dr. Blanch so he can get it on a thumb drive by Thursday.  As he says, "Always a challenge."

As I mentioned I went prepared but these guys are great and the information is really good stuff.  Their job is to teach us how to teach the missionaries to keep themselves healthy and believe me by the time they were finished I was thanking the Lord for a state side call.  I learned stuff I really wish I didn't  know and can hardly believe goes on today, about different cultures bathroom habits, food prep, and lifestyles in general and too many things in particular.  Enough said.

Dr. Wooley has developed some interesting things because of this charge from the Brethren.  Just two for examples.  A hand sanitizer that last for 90 HOURS and through 5 handwashings.  I am sending you all some for the kiddies for school.  I can't understand why he isn't marketing this and making a fortune on it but the only place it is available is in the MTC Bookstore.  The other thing is a water bottle you can "fill from the toilet" and the filter in it makes the water you suck out "as pure as any treated water here in the US and better than most."  Having had experience in Moscow with the water in the very swank Marriott Hotel I will get one of these if I ever travel out side the US again.  He told us that he took his whole family to Cancun in May and the straw for the water bottle was just approved and the company sent him several.  These also filter, so he gave a water bottle and straw to each member of the family before they left for Cancun and told them to drink any water off the ship out of that bottle or use the straw.  Well, they went to Sacrament meeting while they were there and yup, you guessed it, one 11 year old grandson pulled out his straw and slurped up the sacrament right from the cup still in the tray. LOL  Then he told us  stories of the the GA's and some of their experiences with the sacrament in foreign countries.  One reached over to a new 70 he had with him and said, as the water came around, "Elder, I feel to inform you that you are not worthy to partake of the sacrament".  After it had passed he reached over and said, "Elder you are now worthy to partake of the sacrament again."  The water had "stuff" floating in it.
I was able to get one page of arbitrating done and 1 and 1/2 dishcloths knitted in the 7 and 3/4 hours we were there on Tuesday, but the lecture was fabulous.

Wednesday we were back at the COB but I came prepared and finished the dishcloths


Thursday we were at this building on 11400 So in Draper.  Dr. Marsden Blanche is very entertaining, and very generous and kind.  He has the AMA's, AMHA's and Nurses out to his companies building for the last day and he helps with computer stuff.  He said we were fun to teach because everybody had computer skills and knew how to keyboard.  He says he generally has at least one or two who are using a computer for the 1st time and are typing with the "hunt and peck system"  So we really moved along and he had some really fun stuff for us to do.


This is the last picture of the group.  Elder Dr. Jackson and Sister Jackson caught a plane that night at 9 pm for the Philippines and the Wallace's and the French's left Friday and Saturday.  Sister Hugies is staying until Saturday the 4th of Aug because her son is getting married and he is the last to do so.  She will get to Chile on the 5th of Aug. (and not a moment to soon for that poor mission mother).
Dr. Blanche is on the far right.  And he told us to wear casual clothes!  Yeah.

No comments: